Winding sticks are possibly the simplest tools in your tool chest, however, the job they do is invaluable. Place one stick either end of your board, sight down the centre and they will detect and exaggerate any wind (twist) in the board. If the top of both sticks are parallel to one another then your board is good, the contrasting hardwood inlays will help expose any wind.
Why wooden sticks over metal?
Wooden sticks are superior to their extruded counterparts, in the unfortunate event you were drop one, unalike a metal stick, these will not bend rendering them useless. Yes, they may get a dent or chip if you drop them, but this will only add character, or if inclined you could run a hand plane over them.
– 455mm in length, approx 18 inches.
– Made from kiln dried American black walnut.
– Clear contrasting English boxwood inlays on both sticks.
– Tapered base for added stability.
– Danish oil finish to aid longevity.