About Andrew Bates
- Bespoke, handstitched leathergoods.
- Archaeological and historical facsimiles and reconstructions.
- Costume and props for TV, film, theatre and opera.
- Art pieces and sculpture.
- Leatherwork tuition and consultancy.
- Pieces in combinations of materials.
Reconstructed Anglo Saxon Bottle
An Anglo Saxon bottle in moulded, vegetable tanned cowhide with an alder wood stopper. It is both saturated in and lined with beeswax following a recipe rediscovered in an C18th French manuscript. Its design is informed by a ceramic original and a depiction on the Anglo Saxon Frank’s Casket.