About Andrew Bates
- Bespoke, handstitched leathergoods.
- Archaeological and historical facsimiles and reconstructions.
- Costume and props for TV, film, theatre and opera.
- Art pieces and sculpture.
- Leatherwork tuition and consultancy.
- Pieces in combinations of materials.
This is a leather finger, made for a handling collection which allows schools to explore ideas around medieval relics. It is anatomically correct in every detail. With oven drying clay bones, goatskin shriveled muscles and vegetable tanned deerskin skin. It even has a fingernail of parchment and leather thong sinew.