About Andrew Bates
- Bespoke, handstitched leathergoods.
- Archaeological and historical facsimiles and reconstructions.
- Costume and props for TV, film, theatre and opera.
- Art pieces and sculpture.
- Leatherwork tuition and consultancy.
- Pieces in combinations of materials.
Anglo Saxon Belt with a reclaimed Walrus Ivory Buckle
This is a vegetable tanned cowhide belt which has been handstitched using linen thread. The decoration was applied using a hand carved bone stamp which is a copy of the C7th ‘Bamburgh Beast’ design. The buckle and strap end are copies of original Anglo Saxon pieces. They are made from reclaimed walrus ivory which was found in a charity shop!